Every fall, we have a couple of back-to-back awareness months surrounding mental health. While September is dedicated to suicide prevention awareness, October focuses on mental health more broadly. With World Mental Health Day coming up on October 10th, we’re trying to spread some awareness! Spreading awareness is important because it offers connection to community, education, resources, hope, and so much more. These awareness days can also help us understand ourselves and each other. Below, you’ll find organizations that offer education on suicide prevention and support for mental health.
Immediate, 24/7 Support
988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline
-Call or Text 988
Trevor Project (LGBTQ+ focused)
Suicide Prevention Resources
988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline 988Lifeline.org
- Available 24/7/365 (or 366 on a leap year 😉), 988 offers support via website, text, or call. It’s appropriate to use 988 to support yourself or others. You’re not alone!
The Trevor Project TheTrevorProject.org
- Through their website and hotline, The Trevor Project puts an emphasis on providing support for those in the LGBTQ+ community.
American Foundation for Suicide Prevention afsp.org
- Each year, AFSP hosts an awareness walk called Out Of The Darkness so those touched by the topic of suicide can gather, honor their loved ones, meet survivors, and find community. They also offer resources all year.
Question, Persuade, Refer Suicide Prevention Training QPRinstitute.com
- Certification in suicide prevention is available through QPR institute for those who want official training.
- This organization offers free tools along with a 5-part suggestion on how to best provide support those you care about.
Seize The Awkward SeizeTheAwkward.org
- This organization strives to break the silence on tough topics, including mental health.
Psychology Today Psychologytoday.com
- On this website, you may find helpful articles or even search for a psychologist that offers personalized care.
Another way you can participate in spreading awareness is by wearing the recognized colors associated with our awareness months! Wear:
- 💙💜 Teal & Purple for Suicide Prevention (Sept.)
- 💚 Green for Mental Health (Oct.)
Awareness months are intended to bring connection to community, education, resources, and hope to people like me and you. I hope that after reading this post you are more confident about where to go in case you’re worried about yourself or a loved one. You’re allowed to ask for help! We’re here to guide you through your hardships. YOU MATTER <3